Brief history

The founding collections of the Tasmanian Herbarium date from the early 1830s, and were assembled by early colonial amateur botanists such as Robert William Lawrence, Ronald Campbell Gunn and Joseph Milligan, who were residents and collected widely across the State.

There are also some older collections dating from the earliest European contacts with the island, notably the voyages of Captain James Cook in 1777, Captain Bruni D'Entrecasteaux in 1792 and 1793, Captain William Bligh in 1792 and the explorations of Robert Brown in 1803 and 1804.